About Me

Monday, September 26, 2011

ARE YOU LIVING WITH A STRANGER?

Oh my goodness, well I hope not! It’s been a MONTH since you moved in. Do you know your roommate? Like, do you know know your roommate? Have you gotten into a routine with your roommate? I hope the initial awkwardness is long gone.

Precious, what if I don’t have a roommate? Well, what about your suitemate? Maybe you only know they are in their room when you hear the water running…..nothing like those awkward moments when you accidently open the door. OOPS! But on a serious note, get to know your suitemate; your relationship is hopefully more than just “have they put in toilet paper?” and “when are they going to get out of the shower?”

DO YOU SIT NEXT TO A STRANGER?
I know that I do. In each of my classes I sit in the same seat, but never turn to talk to the person next to me because depending on the time of day I’m probably not in the mood to talk to them. With a school of about 36,000 students almost everyone is a stranger, but at the same time they could also be 36,000 new friends. In my last post I wrote about leaving your room to get more involved because it’s a great way to make new friends; but talking to the students next to you can lead to a whole new world of possibility.

HAVE YOUR PARENTS BECOME STRANGERS?
I became a stranger to my parents. It was maybe three weeks after Sunday Fun Day that I went home. Between the time that I moved in and the day I went home I had gotten a second ear piercing (GASP!). I didn’t think it was a big deal; however, when my parents saw me they claimed that they didn’t even recognize me. They were convinced that in the weeks to follow, I’d be covered with tattoos and piercings before my next visit home. The daughter that they had dropped off was gone and a stranger had taken away the girl they loved. This is a relatively extreme case, parents care (Well, duh!). But especially when we are freshmen. That’s why they text, call, and send care packages (granted my parents live 30 minutes away and I never got a care package), but still they want you to remain an active part of their lives. Trust me it’s about a relationship that’s only going to get stronger after time.

Here are some simple steps in helping a make a stranger a friend:
1- Smile
2- Introduce yourself
3- Shake their hand
4- Smile some more
5- Awkwardly laugh
6- Talk about something vague
7- Awkwardly laugh again

I’m off looking for ways to help y’all put the U in UNT,
- Precious

p.s. the next blog will be about BECOMING AN ORIENTATION LEADER! :)

p.p.s. if you have questions and need any advice, you should email me, and I’ll help you to the best of my ability! Who knows, maybe your question will inspire the next post! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment